- GLOBAL FERRO-SILICON SNAPSHOT: Low inventories boost European prices (Fri, 18 Sep 2020 18:38:00 GMT)Key data from the pricing sessions in Europe, Asia and the United States for the week ended Friday September 18.
- European ferro-chrome benchmark stable at $1.14 per lb for Q4 (Fri, 18 Sep 2020 16:24:00 GMT)The European charge and high-carbon ferro-chrome benchmark for the fourth quarter 2020 is $1.14 per lb, unchanged for the third consecutive quarter.
- GLOBAL MANGANESE SNAPSHOT: Seaborne ore prices follow dip in portside ore, alloy futures prices (Fri, 18 Sep 2020 16:18:00 GMT)Key data from the pricing sessions in Europe, Asia and the United States for the week ending Friday September 18.
- COPPER CONCS SNAPSHOT: Spot index at month-and-half high due to smelter buying (Fri, 18 Sep 2020 16:02:00 GMT)Fastmarkets’ copper concentrate treatment and refining charge (TC/RC) index rose to its highest level in one and a half months on Friday September 18 after miners sold additional tonnes at slightly higher levels this week.
- India's Birla copper smelter turns to domestic concentrate supply amid global tightness (Fri, 18 Sep 2020 14:56:00 GMT)The operator of India's biggest copper smelter, Birla, has entered an agreement to source copper concentrate locally at a time of global mined copper tightness.
- European ferro-chrome prices continue slow rise (Thu, 17 Sep 2020 09:17:00 GMT)The European high- and low-carbon ferro-chrome markets strengthened on Tuesday September 15 due to a slow recovery in demand.
- Chinese tungsten market stabilizes; APT export market turns quiet again (Thu, 17 Sep 2020 03:59:00 GMT)Tungsten concentrate and ammonium paratungstate (APT) prices in China were stable on Wednesday September 16 after increased availability of both products in the market prevented prices from extending last week’s gains.
- IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: 5 key stories from September 16 (Thu, 17 Sep 2020 00:05:00 GMT)Here are five Fastmarkets that you might have missed on Wednesday September 16 that are worth another look.
- WEBINAR: China still consuming H1 ore, alloys imports but supply concerns developing – panel (Wed, 16 Sep 2020 16:54:00 GMT)China will be able to absorb the large volumes of ore and ferro-alloys supply it imported in the first half of this year, but supply concerns loom, Fastmarkets head of research Alistair Ramsay said during a recent Fastmarkets webinar on Covid-19 and what it means for trade flow and demand for key ferro-alloys and ores.
- Covid-19 is making BHP's Escondida grade battle that much harder (Wed, 16 Sep 2020 14:08:00 GMT)The world’s top producing copper mine is still in the midst of a grade problem and Covid-19 is making that harder to counteract.
- Likely rise in South African manganese ore exports stoking oversupply concerns (Wed, 16 Sep 2020 13:57:00 GMT)Manganese ore exports from South Africa are expected to rise further in September, according to preliminary unofficial data seen by Fastmarkets, heightening concerns about oversupply in China.
- New alumina projects, oversupply continue to loom over China's alumina market in H2 - analyst (Wed, 16 Sep 2020 10:41:00 GMT)The Chinese domestic alumina price remains under continued pressure in the second half of the year due to oversupplied fundamentals, an alumina analyst said at the Qianhai Mercantile Exchange Aluminium & Alumina Seminar on Tuesday September 15.
- Turkey-origin copper containers shipped to China found filled with bricks - sources (Wed, 16 Sep 2020 08:36:00 GMT)Three containers of copper from Turkey heading to a Chinese smelter have been discovered to have been filled with bricks upon arrival in Lianyungang port in China, sources have told Fastmarkets.
- GLOBAL NICKEL WRAP: Chinese ore price sets fresh high, US briquette premium finds new bottom (Wed, 16 Sep 2020 07:25:00 GMT)Chinese nickel ore and nickel pig iron (NPI) prices continued to rise in the week ended Tuesday September 15, but full plate premiums in the country were unchanged for a third consecutive week.
- Finnfjord to stop FeSi production for two weeks, source says (Tue, 15 Sep 2020 16:01:00 GMT)Norwegian ferro-silicon producer Finnfjord Smelteverk will stop ferro-silicon production for two weeks from this weekend because of planned maintenance to its three furnaces, a source told Fastmarkets.
- GLOBAL CHROME SNAPSHOT: Higher Indian alloy offers support Japan, South Korea prices (Tue, 15 Sep 2020 15:35:00 GMT)An overview of the chrome ore and alloy markets and their latest price moves.
- Codelco enters into labor agreement with El Teniente supervisors' union (Tue, 15 Sep 2020 13:58:00 GMT)Chilean copper producer Codelco has agreed a 36-month labor deal with the union representing supervisors at the El Teniente copper mine, the state-owned company said on Monday September 14.
- China portside manganese ore prices stall on slower buying interest (Tue, 15 Sep 2020 13:30:00 GMT)Portside prices for both low- and high-grade manganese ore in China changed little over the week ended Friday September 11, with some alloy smelters retreating from the market after restocking to meet prompt production needs in the previous two weeks, market sources have told Fastmarkets.
- QME ALUMINIUM SEMINAR: Oversupply pushes China's alumina price into downtrend (Tue, 15 Sep 2020 12:40:00 GMT)Low liquidity has added more pressure to the domestic alumina market in China, which has gone into a downtrend because of oversupply, several sources told Fastmarkets on the sidelines of the Qianhai Mercantile Exchange alumina seminar on Tuesday September 15.
- Vedanta to sell Australian copper mine; copper exposure shrinks further (Mon, 14 Sep 2020 15:36:00 GMT)Vedanta Resources will divest its Mount Lyell copper mine in Tasmania, Australia, after aborting a plan to restart the mine due to restrictions related to Covid-19, Australian media reported.
- MANGANESE ORE ANALYTICS: September 14, 2020 (Mon, 14 Sep 2020 13:53:00 GMT)The latest data for the global manganese ore market for the week ended September 14, 2020.
- Tight concentrates supply, higher China offers push APT prices upward (Mon, 14 Sep 2020 12:02:00 GMT)Prices for ammonium paratungstate (APT) in both Europe and the United States went up for the second consecutive week in the seven days to Friday September 11, while sentiment in China also improved with buyers returning to the market after an extended summer break.
- Chalco’s Huasheng 2mln tpy alumina refinery starts trial production - sources (Mon, 14 Sep 2020 09:53:00 GMT)Huasheng alumina refinery in Guangxi province of southern China started trial production on September 10, having come online in August, several sources told Fastmarkets on Monday September 14.
- Chinese nickel sulfate price stabilizes after 7-week rally; NPI, nickel ore continue to rise (Mon, 14 Sep 2020 04:25:00 GMT)China’s nickel sulfate price was unchanged on Friday September 11, snapping a run of seven straight weeks of gains.
- IRON ORE DAILY: Prices rebound amid active trading, solid demand in low-grade fines (Fri, 18 Sep 2020 13:14:00 GMT)Iron ore prices rebounded on Friday September 18 amid active trading in the seaborne market and in ports, while low-grade fines performed well on solid demand.
- COKING COAL DAILY: Seaborne hard coking coal indices tick up amid cautious optimism (Fri, 18 Sep 2020 10:55:00 GMT)Seaborne hard coking coal indices in both fob and cfr markets rose slightly on Friday September 18 following the latest transaction, while most market participants remain in wait-and-see mode.
- CHINA HRC: Prices edge up on buying spike (Fri, 18 Sep 2020 10:30:00 GMT)Eastern China’s hot-rolled coil prices edged up on Friday September 18 on a pick-up in trading activity.
- LIVE FUTURES REPORT 18/09: Fresh cancellation pushes LME zinc price above $2,500/t; copper breaches $6,800/t (Fri, 18 Sep 2020 09:55:00 GMT)The three-month zinc price on the London Metal Exchange was trading firmly above nearby resistance levels during morning trading on Friday September 18 after 1,500 tonnes were freshly booked out of LME-registered warehouses in Vlissingen, while a steady dip in the dollar index helped LME copper break above the $6,800-per-tonne threshold.
- CHINA REBAR: Adverse weather, cheaper raw materials deprive market of upside (Fri, 18 Sep 2020 09:00:00 GMT)Heavy rain and a price decrease for raw materials deprived China’s domestic rebar market of any upward momentum this week. Rebar prices stopped falling on Friday September 18 on rising futures, which kept it at the same level as a week earlier.
- MORNING VIEW: Sentiment in metals remains bullish as dips bought (Fri, 18 Sep 2020 07:03:00 GMT)This time yesterday base metals prices were down across the board, but with the exception of Shanghai Futures Exchange tin, they were all up during morning trading on Friday September 18 – showing sentiment remains bullish overall with dips being bought.
- LIVE FUTURES REPORT 17/09: LME nickel price back above $15,000 despite general downturn; copper improves (Thu, 17 Sep 2020 17:17:00 GMT)The three-month price of nickel on the London Metal Exchange was slightly higher at the close of trading on Thursday September 17, gathering momentum above the $15,000-per-tonne threshold despite continued selling pressure over the day.
- COKING COAL DAILY: Hard coking coal indices rise on latest transactions; premium prices flat (Thu, 17 Sep 2020 11:19:00 GMT)Fastmarkets' premium hard coking coal indices remained flat on Thursday September 17, while the hard coking coal indices pushed up in response to reports of a transaction on Wednesday.
- IRON ORE DAILY: Weaker sentiment prompts downtrend in seaborne prices (Thu, 17 Sep 2020 11:10:00 GMT)Seaborne iron ore prices remained on a downward trend on Thursday September 17 amid weaker market sentiment, trade sources told Fastmarkets.
- LIVE FUTURES REPORT 17/09: LME base metals prices slide amid Fed disappointment; nickel, zinc slip below nearby support (Thu, 17 Sep 2020 09:55:00 GMT)Three-month base metals prices on the London Metal Exchange were collectively lower during morning trading on Thursday September 17, with selling pressure emerging after the US Federal Reserve pledged to keep interest rates low on Wednesday, but offered little in the way of further fiscal stimulus.
- MORNING VIEW: Metals, equities weaker despite FOMC’s dovishness (Thu, 17 Sep 2020 06:45:00 GMT)The weakness in metals and equities this morning, Thursday September 17, indicates markets were taking the US Federal Open Market Committee’s (FOMC) projections and comments that they will likely keep interest rates on hold through at least 2023 as suggesting there will continue to be tough times ahead in the real economy.
- Downward momentum grows in China’s domestic stainless steel market (Thu, 17 Sep 2020 04:58:00 GMT)China’s domestic stainless steel prices experienced a larger rate of decrease over the week ended Wednesday September 16 on dropping demand, although nickel prices remained strong.
- BASE METALS WARRANT REPORT 16/09 (Wed, 16 Sep 2020 18:36:00 GMT)A summary of London Metal Exchange warrant premiums from across the globe for the week to Wednesday September 16.
- LIVE FUTURES REPORT 16/09: Downbeat US retail sales create mixed close for LME base metals close; zinc gains momentum (Wed, 16 Sep 2020 17:24:00 GMT)Three-month base metals prices on the London Metal Exchange were mixed at the close of trading on Wednesday September 16, with lower than expected US retail data doing little to slow the upward momentum in LME zinc futures.
- IRON ORE DAILY: Price slump raises concerns of potential move into bearish territory (Wed, 16 Sep 2020 11:33:00 GMT)Iron ore prices slumped further on Wednesday September 16, on weaker-than-expected demand for steel, raising concerns that the market could start to move into bearish territory as it did in 2019.
- COKING COAL DAILY: Seaborne premium cfr index jumps; buying momentum drives bullish sentiment (Wed, 16 Sep 2020 10:45:00 GMT)The seaborne premium hard coking coal cfr Jingtang index surged on Wednesday September 16 following transactions of premium mid-volatility hard coking coal the previous day, with most market participants positive about the spot market in the short term.
- CHINA REBAR: Strong yuan pushes up export prices (Wed, 16 Sep 2020 09:35:00 GMT)A continual strengthening of the yuan against the dollar pushed up export prices for Chinese rebar on Wednesday September 16, though domestic prices for the product in China remained flat due to a less active market.
- LIVE FUTURES REPORT 16/09: LME base metals await FOMC news (Wed, 16 Sep 2020 09:33:00 GMT)London Metal Exchange three-month base metals prices were directionless over the morning on Wednesday September 16, while the market awaits clarification on the potential stimulus packages from the United States Federal Open Markets Committee today.
- MORNING VIEW: Base metals prices mixed as markets await direction from FOMC (Wed, 16 Sep 2020 06:45:00 GMT)The stronger tones in the base metals that have been seen this week were struggling to push ahead this morning, Wednesday September 16, because the market is waiting for direction, which is expected to come out of this evening’s US Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) meeting.
- LIVE FUTURES REPORT 15/09: LME base metal price gains capped by US Fed trepidation (Tue, 15 Sep 2020 16:38:00 GMT)Recent gains in London Metal Exchange three-month base metals prices stalled at the close on Tuesday September 15 after consumer jitters set in ahead of the following day’s United States Federal Reserve meeting.
- IRON ORE DAILY: Market bucks bullish trend, drives seaborne prices downward (Tue, 15 Sep 2020 12:10:00 GMT)Seaborne iron ore prices eased on Tuesday September 15 amid a market-driven price correction from the previous day’s sky-high prices, according to trade sources.
- COKING COAL DAILY: Seaborne premium fob index jumps on latest transaction (Tue, 15 Sep 2020 12:05:00 GMT)The seaborne premium hard coking coal fob index jumped on Tuesday September 15 following a transaction of premium mid-volatility hard coking coal in the fob market, sources said.
- CHINA HRC: Mills roll over export offers on weakening dollar (Tue, 15 Sep 2020 10:25:00 GMT)A softening dollar led China’s hot-rolled coil producers to their export offers flat on Tuesday September 15 despite a weakening domestic market.
- CHINA REBAR: Domestic prices lose upward momentum on lower buying activity (Tue, 15 Sep 2020 09:50:00 GMT)China’s domestic rebar prices stopped rising on Tuesday September 15 after falling futures and rain weakened demand.
- LIVE FUTURES REPORT 15/09: Fresh cancelation buoys LME zinc above $2,500 in thin vol trading (Tue, 15 Sep 2020 09:25:00 GMT)The London Metal Exchange three-month zinc price increased marginally during the morning on Tuesday September 15, with a fresh cancelation of some 6,275 tonnes keeping its price above nearby support while thin volumes traded in Asia, despite better than expected economic data out of China.
- MORNING VIEW: Encouraging Chinese data underpins base metals prices (Tue, 15 Sep 2020 06:45:00 GMT)Base metals prices were for the most part firmer this morning, Tuesday September 15, supported by some good Chinese economic data.
- LIVE FUTURES REPORT 14/09: LME aluminium price breaches $1,800/t in busy afternoon trading; lead surges 1.7% (Mon, 14 Sep 2020 17:03:00 GMT)The three-month aluminium price on the London Metal Exchange surpassed nearby resistance at the close of trading on Monday September 14, closing just above $1,800 per tonne after today’s fresh cancellation of 41,325 tonnes triggered afternoon buying, while lead futures rose by 1.7% in the US trading session to push beyond $1,900 per tonne.
- IRON ORE DAILY: Replenishment expectations support prices, active trading [CORRECTED] (Mon, 14 Sep 2020 15:45:00 GMT)Iron ore prices gained again on Monday September 14, with market sources expecting mills to replenish their iron ore inventory before the Golden Week holiday in October in China, which resulted in active trading at ports and a rise in prices.
- IRON ORE DAILY: Replenishment expectations support prices, active trading [CORRECTED] (Mon, 14 Sep 2020 11:58:00 GMT)A correction has been issued for this article.
- COKING COAL DAILY: Seaborne premium indices drop slightly amid diverging market views (Mon, 14 Sep 2020 10:44:00 GMT)Seaborne premium hard coking coal prices dipped on Monday September 14 due to lack of transactions after contradictory views on current market levels emerged.
- Myers Industries' CFO resigns (Fri, 18 Sep 2020 16:53:13 EDT)
AKRON—Myers Industries has appointed an interim chief financial officer after separating from its most recent CFO.
- Pandemic leaves impact on synthetic rubber market (Fri, 18 Sep 2020 16:00:00 EDT)
In this bizarre year that is 2020, the synthetic rubber market and materials that feed it are no different than most other industry sectors.
- Sumitomo has big plans for Falken in North America (Fri, 18 Sep 2020 13:32:01 EDT)
Sumitomo Rubber USA has some aggressive growth plans for its Falken-brand truck tires.
- Top Glove eyes $1.9 billion expansion, prepares to start new Vietnam factory (Fri, 18 Sep 2020 11:46:22 EDT)
Top Glove is planning to invest $1.9 billion in expansion projects over the next six years.
- ETRMA backs ambitious new European climate targets (Fri, 18 Sep 2020 11:45:41 EDT)
The European tire industry has welcomed ambitious new climate goals set by the European Commission, calling for clear policies and financial support to back the green transition.
- Goodyear launching line of aftermarket brake products (Fri, 18 Sep 2020 10:44:24 EDT)
Goodyear is now launching a full line of braking components.
- ITEC speaker: Economy, including tires, in recovery mode (Fri, 18 Sep 2020 10:40:00 EDT)
Economist Bill Wood believes the economy will be broadly recovered in 2021. Here's a look at what's driving that prediction.
- Development of elastomers for oil, gas drilling uses (Fri, 18 Sep 2020 09:10:36 EDT)
Operating in the downhole oil and gas environment exposes elastomers to extreme conditions, which leads to the progressive degradation of mechanical properties. This results in sub-optimal performance and, in some cases, premature failure.
- In today’s uncertain times, our industry must continually change and adapt in order to survive (Fri, 18 Sep 2020 09:00:00 EDT)
For 27 years, ARP Materials Inc. has provided high quality, reliable and innovative resources from around the globe. They are dedicated to providing customers with cost-competitive alternatives that allow them to compete on a global level.
- Team Penske, Stratasys extend 3D printing partnership (Thu, 17 Sep 2020 14:46:48 EDT)
Team Penske has agreed to a multi-year extension of its technical partnership with Stratasys, which provides 3D printing services to all Team Penske NASCAR, IndyCar and IMSA SportsCar teams.