- WEEKLY BASE METAL PREMIUMS REPORT: 19/01 (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 21:08:00 GMT)A summary of base metals premiums from across the globe for the week to Tuesday January 19.
- GLOBAL CHROME SNAPSHOT: Shortage of ferro-chrome in China sends prices soaring (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 18:46:00 GMT)An overview of the chrome ore and alloy markets on Tuesday January 19 and their latest price moves.
- Codelco approves further $1.24 bln investment in El Teniente expansion (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 17:58:00 GMT)Chilean copper producer Codelco’s board of directors has approved a $1.24 billion investment in the expansion of its El Teniente facility just south of the capital, Santiago, the state-owned copper producer said on Tuesday January 19.
- AT A GLANCE: Rio Tinto’s 2020 Al output stable; bauxite production at 56.1 mln (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 11:25:00 GMT)A summary of Rio Tinto’s fourth-quarter 2020 production results.
- Glencore sells majority stake in Mopani copper mine for $1.5bln (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 10:05:00 GMT)Glencore has agreed to sell its 73% stake in the Mopani copper mine in Zambia to the Zambian state mining investment arm, the Swiss commodity trader said on Tuesday January 19.
- ZINC CONCS SNAPSHOT: TCs flat at low levels, miners offer big tonnes to market (Mon, 18 Jan 2021 20:32:00 GMT)Treatment charges for spot market zinc concentrates were flat from one assessment to the next at low levels in the first half of January, with smelters and traders weighing seemingly limited short-term availability against expectations of a mined abundance later this year.
- Mining resumes in Vedanta's Gamsberg zinc operation after two months (Mon, 18 Jan 2021 16:05:00 GMT)Mining at Vedanta Zinc International's South African zinc mine in Gamsberg has resumed after a two-month shutdown following a landfall at the project in November.
- MANGANESE ORE ANALYTICS: January 18, 2021 (Mon, 18 Jan 2021 09:21:00 GMT)The latest data for the global manganese ore market for the week ended January 18, 2021.
- Ferro-molybdenum, molybdic oxide rally cools amid profit taking (Fri, 15 Jan 2021 22:04:00 GMT)Prices for molybdic oxide and ferro-molybdenum came under pressure from profit taking in the second half of the week ended Friday January 15, and gave up some of their recent gains following swift gains earlier in January.
- GLOBAL FERRO-SILICON SNAPSHOT: US, EU prices rise, taking cue from elevated Asian markets (Fri, 15 Jan 2021 18:50:00 GMT)Key data from the pricing sessions in Europe, Asia and the United States for the week ended Friday January 15.
- COPPER CONCS SNAPSHOT: TC/RCs stay low, smelters snap up spot tonnes (Fri, 15 Jan 2021 17:20:00 GMT)Copper concentrate TC/RCs remained at low levels as of January 15, with smelters in China continuing to purchase available spot cargoes when offered, sources told Fastmarkets.
- GLOBAL MANGANESE SNAPSHOT: Tight supply boosts Europe alloy prices (Fri, 15 Jan 2021 17:05:00 GMT)Key data from the pricing sessions in Europe, Asia and the United States for the week ending Friday January 15.
- Trevali to restart Caribou mine on improved zinc pricing (Fri, 15 Jan 2021 16:40:00 GMT)Zinc producer Trevali will restart its mothballed Caribou mine in the Canadian province of New Brunswick after implementing “operational and commercial enhancements,” the company has announced.
- 2021 PREVIEW: Zimbabwe likeliest beneficiary of South Africa chrome ore tax - poll (Fri, 15 Jan 2021 08:00:00 GMT)South Africa’s chrome ore export tax would boost investment in Zimbabwe’s chrome ore industry if it goes ahead, according to a majority of buy-side respondents to a Fastmarkets poll of UG2 market participants on the sector's outlook. Fastmarkets senior analyst Robert Cartman provides his take.
- South African chrome, manganese miners set to compete for trucking capacity (Thu, 14 Jan 2021 19:08:00 GMT)South Africa’s chrome and manganese producers are facing competition with each other to secure trucking capacity amid Covid-19-related logistical disruptions and an impending rail shutdown, sources told Fastmarkets on Thursday January 14.
- China’s APT export market remains slow amid high prices (Thu, 14 Jan 2021 04:08:00 GMT)Ammonium paratungstate (APT) exporters in China are facing rising costs due to higher domestic prices for the material, causing them to raise their offers again this past week even though foreign buyers have shown little interest in purchasing at these already elevated levels.
- LIVE FUTURES REPORT 19/01: LME lead, nickel make gains near 1% (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 17:45:00 GMT)London Metal Exchange lead and nickel made gains close to 1% during the afternoon trading session on Tuesday January 19, with a lower US dollar index giving metals some space to recuperate their forward prices.
- HOTTER ON METALS: Changing LME clearing model could kill the golden goose (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 16:20:00 GMT)The London Metal Exchange and its clearing house are revisiting a proposal to transition to a different way of calculating its clearing methodology.
- HOTTER ON METALS: Covid-19 to kill the LME ring (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 14:06:00 GMT)Covid-19 appears to have claimed another casualty: the London Metal Exchange ring trading floor.
- LME proposes to permanently shut ring, incentivize electronic trade (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 14:00:00 GMT)The London Metal Exchange is proposing the permanent closure of its open-outcry trading floor and the incentivization of greater liquidity on its electronic trading platform, LMESelect.
- COKING COAL DAILY: Seaborne prices flat, no deals reported (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 11:54:00 GMT)Seaborne coking coal prices were relatively flat on Tuesday January 19 with no trades heard, sources told Fastmarkets.
- IRON ORE DAILY: Weak sentiment drags down seaborne prices (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 11:46:00 GMT)Iron ore prices have bucked the upward trend on Tuesday January 19 amid weakened sentiment in the market, sources told Fastmarkets.
- CHINA HRC: Prices tumble on record high steel output (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 10:38:00 GMT)China’s hot-rolled coil prices tumbled on Tuesday January 19 after data showing the country’s steel output hitting a new high in 2020 triggered speculation that the government might restrict exports.
- LIVE FUTURES REPORT 19/01: Copper sole LME base metal to make gains; Al continues to fall (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 10:24:00 GMT)Copper was the only base metal on the London Metal Exchange to register a gain during morning trading on Tuesday January 19, while aluminium’s forward price continued to drop and tin recorded the biggest decline, with the complex still capped by a firm dollar.
- CHINA REBAR: Domestic prices stop rising on tumbling futures (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 09:55:00 GMT)China’s domestic rebar prices lost their upward momentum on Tuesday January 19 amid a weakening of the futures market.
- MORNING VIEW: LME base metals prices mixed with aluminium following zinc lower (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 08:51:00 GMT)Base metals prices on the London Metal Exchange were mixed this morning, Tuesday January 19, but aluminium prices have followed recent weakness in zinc, breaking support levels in the process.
- LIVE FUTURES REPORT 18/01: LME aluminium price dips on 112kt delivery; tin up 0.6% (Mon, 18 Jan 2021 17:48:00 GMT)The London Metal Exchange aluminium forward price was dented by almost 1% by a sizeable delivery of material to registered warehouses, while tin recorded the biggest increase at the 5pm close on Monday January 18.
- Britannia Global Markets to ascend to Cat 2 on LME in February (Mon, 18 Jan 2021 15:55:00 GMT)Britannia Global Markets’ application to become a category 2 broking member of the London Metal Exchange has been approved by the exchange, its parent company said on Monday January 18.
- 112k aluminium delivery puts Gwangyang as new hotspot; spreads to widen (Mon, 18 Jan 2021 14:48:00 GMT)A delivery of over 100,000 tonnes of aluminium into warehouses across the London Metal Exchange network should be supportive of wider contangos and higher premiums, market participants told Fastmarkets.
- COKING COAL DAILY: Firm demand, few offered cargoes support fob PHCC price uptick (Mon, 18 Jan 2021 11:24:00 GMT)The seaborne fob market moved up slightly for premium hard coking coal prices on Monday January 18 on firm demand and a limited number of cargoes on offer in the market, sources said.
- IRON ORE DAILY: Prices inch up after China posts highest-ever GDP (Mon, 18 Jan 2021 11:12:00 GMT)Iron ore prices increased on Monday January 18, supported by a news of a record-high GDP in China for 2020 and supply concerns after a fire at Vale’s Ponta da Madeira terminal in northern Brazil.
- LIVE FUTURES REPORT 18/01: Mixed start to the week for LME base metals (Mon, 18 Jan 2021 10:11:00 GMT)LME base metals prices had a mixed start on the morning of January 18, despite positive economic data coming out of China, with copper and nickel rising but zinc falling, capped by a high US Dollar Index.
- MORNING VIEW: Base metals prices supported by strong data out of China (Mon, 18 Jan 2021 09:31:00 GMT)The base metals on the London Metal Exchange were mainly stronger this morning, Monday January 18, aided by some strong economic data in China, including gross domestic product (GDP) that showed growth of 6.5% year on year in the fourth quarter, which was stronger than the 6.2% expected and up from 4.9% in the third quarter.
- LIVE FUTURES REPORT 15/01: Zinc falls 2%; Copper drops below $8,000/t (Fri, 15 Jan 2021 17:53:00 GMT)The zinc price was the hardest hit as most base metals finished below their psychological price levels on Friday January 15, with a high US dollar resulting in further signs of consolidation taking hold at the London Metals Exchange.
- SHFE STOCKS REPORT 15/01: Most base metals inventories fall; zinc up 23.3% (Fri, 15 Jan 2021 12:21:00 GMT)Most base metals recorded a decrease in inventory levels in Shanghai Futures Exchange-registered warehouses in the week to Friday January 15, with the exception of zinc and aluminium.
- IRON ORE DAILY: Seaborne prices up despite mixed sentiment; lump demand strong (Fri, 15 Jan 2021 11:55:00 GMT)Iron ore prices trended up on Friday January 15 despite mixed market sentiment but demand for iron ore lump is firm on active trading at the Chinese portside, sources told Fastmarkets.
- COKING COAL DAILY: Premium fob price up on latest trade; buyers accept price (Fri, 15 Jan 2021 11:38:00 GMT)The seaborne premium hard coking coal fob price jumped up on Friday January 15 following a transaction done at $124 per tonne fob Australia on Friday, sources said.
- LIVE FUTURES REPORT 15/01: Zinc, nickel down by 1.4%; Cu below $8,000/t again (Fri, 15 Jan 2021 10:16:00 GMT)The London Metal Exchange base metals failed to hold on to the excitement from US President-elect Joe Biden’s speech overnight, with zinc and nickel the hardest hit and copper once again falling below $8,000 per tonne on Friday January 15 and most of complex trading in negative territory.
- CHINA REBAR: Production still high despite emergence of Covid-19 hotspots (Fri, 15 Jan 2021 10:12:00 GMT)Expectations of steady output for rebar in China kept spot prices largely steady despite increases in the futures market on Friday January 15.
- CHINA HRC: Prices rebound on optimistic sentiment for new year economy (Fri, 15 Jan 2021 10:10:00 GMT)China’s hot-rolled coil prices rebounded on Friday January 15 after the futures market rallied, with sources saying that market participants are optimistic on the economic outlook for the new year.
- MORNING VIEW: LME base metals prices mainly weaker as rallies tire (Fri, 15 Jan 2021 08:36:00 GMT)The base metals on the London Metal Exchange were mainly weaker this morning, Friday January 15, while those on the Shanghai Futures Exchange were mainly firmer in line with the stronger Chinese fundamentals.
- LIVE FUTURES REPORT 14/01: LME nickel price rallies 3% on Biden stimulus speech expectations (Thu, 14 Jan 2021 17:49:00 GMT)The London Metal Exchange three-month nickel price rallied over 3% in the second half of the day on Thursday January 14 on building expectations for President-elect Joe Biden to announce a $1.5 trillion deal stimulus package for the United States.
- LME off-warrant stocks near 2mln tonnes; aluminium volumes rise 2.3% (Thu, 14 Jan 2021 14:13:00 GMT)The London Metal Exchange’s latest off-warrant stock data showed an increase of 3.9% in material held outside the LME warehouse network in November 2020.
- IRON ORE DAILY: Price rises supported by rebound in futures (Thu, 14 Jan 2021 11:58:00 GMT)Iron ore prices went up on Thursday January 14, sources told Fastmarkets, supported by a rebound in futures, with lump performing well at Chinese ports due to tight supplies.
- COKING COAL DAILY: Seaborne prices edge down but are gaining strength across the board, sources say (Thu, 14 Jan 2021 11:03:00 GMT)Despite edging down on Thursday January 14, seaborne coking coal prices are now gaining strength across the board after a bumpy few days in the fob market, sources told Fastmarkets.
- LIVE FUTURES REPORT 14/01: LME zinc falls 1.7%; nickel is sole metal to gain (Thu, 14 Jan 2021 09:56:00 GMT)Zinc registered the biggest fall and nickel was the only metal to post gains in the morning session at the London Metal Exchange on Thursday January 14.
- WCCO task force navigates pandemic, expands communications (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 13:49:00 EST)
Like many businesses, Wahpeton, N.D.-based WCCO Belting has been forced to make several adjustments throughout 2020. That response has made all the difference.
- Hot topics at virtual CES: AVs, air taxis and drones (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 13:42:16 EST)
Though far less groundbreaking than a traditional CES, the all-digital show did feature a decent lineup of discussions on electrification, automated vehicles, the many opportunities of air mobility and more.
- Apollo to raise prices of Vredestein brand tires (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 13:40:49 EST)
Apollo Tyres said it will increase prices on its Vredestein brand up to 5 percent, effective March 1, including adjustments at article and pattern level.
- Engel starts distribution of its Wintec brand in Europe (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 11:55:08 EST)
Engel's t-win injection molding machine will now be available world wide, as the company is expanding sales of the dual-platen machine into Europe.
- ANRPC notes rubber price recovery (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 11:54:10 EST)
Prices for natural rubber showed signs of recovery across physical markets during December 2020.
- ARP Materials adds technical sales manager (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 11:53:29 EST)
ARP Materials Inc. recently hired Nathan Groves as technical sales manager.
- China's tire production up in 2020 (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 11:16:54 EST)
China's major tire makers said tire production during the first 11 months of 2020 was up slightly compared to the same time period in 2019.
- Renault to form JV with U.S. hydrogen specialist Plug Power for fuel cell vans (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 11:15:04 EST)
Renault Group will form a joint venture to develop, build and sell long-range fuel cell electric vans in Europe with Plug Power.
- Bostik investment expands its adhesives offerings (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 11:07:56 EST)
Bostik and Cartell Chemical are teaming up to create Crackless Monomer Co., a joint venture which will expand development of high value-added engineering adhesives.
- Neil X. McHale, Eagle Elastomer co-founder, dies at 85 (Tue, 19 Jan 2021 10:52:30 EST)
Neil X. McHale, one of the founders of Eagle Elastomer Inc., died Oct. 10, just six days shy of his 86th birthday.